Sunday, November 16, 2008

Nigerian Culture Day


Nigerian Culture Day is a huge big deal at school. They choose a region of Africa to honor. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE dresses up in traditional dress from that region (or not so much from that region). You hire a tailor whom you just tell what you want the dress or outfit to look like. Then they take your measurements and make it. So, the day is a big collection of activities. The children go from station to station making crafts, buying at the "market", and having traditional food for lunch. There was a performance at the closing of the day where they acted out a wedding dance and ceremony from the honored region, Hausa, in the north of Nigeria.


Gabriel and his good friend Ram (pronounced rom). They each bought instruments, and thought they would start a band. Gabriel told me to tell Rachel that he bought an instrument when it was her turn to buy. I asked why. He thought she might buy an instrument too. Of course, she bought jewelry like I thought she would, but it was cute.


Kimberly and friends.

Rachel and mom. Yes even visiting moms dress up.


This is a third grade teacher. I really loved his outfit. It is true to the Hausa style. It is long like middle eastern people where. There is a high concentration of Muslim people in the North of Nigeria

3 comments:

Lanelle said...

Love It! Thank you for sharing. It is good to have you back!

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! You will fit right in at Santa Fe ... bring your new clothes.

Nice the hear a little about the background of the locals. --Wayne

Anonymous said...

V. here...
What a cultural experience. Not that every day isn't such a cultural experience. I guess the day is for those who don't get off the compound much. What colorful clothes. All the girls little flared over-skirts are so cute. It seems like it would be hard for the ladies to keep the turban on their heads, but they never seem to be adjusting it. Did Sp dress for the day? I like G & R's band instruments and matching shirts and maybe matching pants, too. Love, V.