This is the castle that we saw, probably the second most famous one in the world. The most famous castle would, of course, be the Cinderella castle at Disney. However, as you can see from the pictures, Neuschwanstein was the inspiration for the Disney castles. Neuschwanstein means "New (Neu) Swan (Schwan) Beer Mug (Stein)." (Not too sure about the last translation there.)
The guy that built these was killed (personal opinion. Officially, it's a mystery) by other people in the royal family. These were reasonably peeved, since he almost managed to spend a family fortune that was built up for almost 800 years in only 16 years building his castles. (That'll teach you to sacrifice so that your kids can have a better life...building castles).
The castles were specifically built to mirror to Wagner operas. Wagner lived much of his professional life at the castles.
We also met another family from Louisiana.
4 comments:
I ALWAYS name my castles after my favorite beer mugs. It's the thing to do. Where is this castle at?
This is Faye:
Second time to answer ANY blog. I sure enjoy all the traveling you guys do!! Keep it up, very educational for the 'Littles'.
my favorite is the stranger family...!
V. here...
How fun to get to see the real thing. I hope the kids liked it. I wished I had known you were going to Germany. I would have given you a shopping list. Hope every body is getting well. l, v.
Post a Comment