Sunday, May 24, 2009






A few pictures from our time in Austria.

A few updates in lives:
1.) Baseball is over. I coached the second half of the season because Mike moved to Scotland. Gabrield did pretty good, but it doesn't look like he'll be a pro player.
2.) Yesterday, we finally finished putting Rachel's bed together. The desk is in place, the shelves are screwed in place, the ladder is set up, and Rachel slept in it last night. Thanks to Dad for sending a few pieces of hardware I forgot.
3.) Yesterday we ate lunch at Chocolate Royale. A small pizza, one club sandwich, and a philly steaksandwich with four shakes cost $100. (Luckily, Gabriel stayed home.) Now you know why we don't eat out very often.
4.) Von has sued us. We were served with an official notice last week. Apparently, we overworked him, beat him, and didn't pay him. We will see what happens. He has graciously offered not to sue us if we pay him $25k USD.
5.) School is out. We still haven't bought tickets for the summer because we're working on the visas.
6.) Next Friday is Democracy Day. That is the day President Obasanjo took the oath of office, reinstating democracy in Nigeria after decades of various military dictatorships. (One of which was General (President) Obasanjo's.) Several years ago, when I was in Houston, EM hired on of his daughters. She was assigned short term to our group, and they arranged a trip for her to visit the Diana Hoover, which is one of EM's flagship facilities. There's a couple shows on the platform on the Discovery Channel. I think that I was invited so it seemed like she wasn't being treated special. Lucky me.
7.) We are going to Ghana for Democracy Day weekend. I'm not sure what we're doing. Levin, our friend who works for the Department of Agriculture, is handling everything.
8.) We have arranged to go to Mt. Kilimanjaro in early September. If anyone else wants to go, let us know. www.climbmountkilimanjaro.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

V. here...
So glad to read more about Austria. What skiers your are growing. the skiers look like they enjoy the snow.
I am happy R. has her bed all set up. She'll want to study hard every night. GO!!R!!
YIKES!! $100. ?? Of Course, with a name like Chocolate Royale what does one expect.
Double YIKES!! We haven't heard the last of Vo.
Have a good time at Democracy Day weekend. You get lots of invites to things I haven't heard of here in the US
Personally, I am not a Mt. Kilimanjaro type of gal so I guess I will sit this one out. Have a ton of fun. GR V.

Anonymous said...

V. here....
I just want to wish easy sailing in getting your visas. Good Luck! I would like to see everyone soon. V.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. It just read that Elder and Sister Nelson were roughed up during an armed robbery at the mission home in Mozambique (sp?)--any similar problems in your part of Africa?

And, what kind of training is needed to get ready to hike Mt. Killi?