If you are planning to buy me something...don't.
I'm tired of fighting with Amber about not wanting to participate in gift exchanges, and about how it wasn't about the money, it was just that I didn't want to participate in that part of Christmas. And since Amber will not let me not give gifts, I've never had a way out. But now it has dawned on me (after being inspired by the high school band's rendition of "Man in the Mirror" at the Christmas concert), that I can start by not participating in gift receiving. Hopefully, this will start a trend.
Therefore, if you were going to buy me something because you felt like you needed to or because you drew my name out of a hat, you can now tell me what you would have gotten me, and I'll tell everyone that's what you got me and how great it was, but you don't have to actually give it to me.
Since I'm a little late getting this very important message out this year, I am willing to accept a gift or two. However, next year, I am standing on principle and the gifts will remain unopened.
If you really want to get me a gift, just let me know, because sooner or later, I'm going to need some doo-dad or another that simply can't be found in Lagos or Amazon, and I will call you up and you can find it for me. Thanks in advance for your participation.
Picture of the platform is one that got shot up by the militants a couple weeks ago. All the hostages were released after the government said that they were going to carpet bomb every village in the delta if they didn't let all of the oil workers go. (That was only the rumor. The official story was that the militants recognized the error of their ways and willingly released the hostages.
I was out there for a couple of nights in September and took this picture. I needed to add that last part so that everyone would know that this was not a professional picture, because it looks so good.
Picture of one of the villages that we fly over in the helicopter.
Our trip to Cameroon. I hiked most of the way up Mt. Cameroon so I could check out the course for the Mt. Cameroon Race of Hope. It looked very difficult. Under the grass, it's just a lava field, with pretty sharp rocks. Coming down I fell a bunch of times, but managed to go head over heels only once. I cut my hands up a little bit, but don't worry, nothing that we stop me from working.
4 comments:
Haha, that's funny. I drew your name and just came to look at your blog for ideas for your Christmas gift.
V. here...love your list of lists . It helps me to know what you're thinking and where you are headed off to
..It's a good thing you visited Mt Cameroon if you are seriously thinking of participating. ...So you're still serious after visiting?? Sounds like a yes. Maybe you will have less falls now that you're not a Mountain newbie. (my idea..wear knee pads.)
I was completely fooled. I thought the picture looked like the Branson Belle Riverboat at sunset! yes, I think you are a professional photographer.
I love your Christmas idea. I think in order for it to be a joyful season each person should celebrate the traditions that bring the most joy. But just celebrating Christmas together is the highlight for me. We can't wait to see you at Christmas.
I'm glad that for Christmas you gave us the gift of some more blog posts.
Let me know if you need any black market american goods.
Sorry about the iPad - if I would have realized your feelings didn't apply to expensive electronics, we definitely would have gone for it. Oh, well.
It was great to see you guys. I love hanging out with all of you. Hopefully we'll see you this summer!
Post a Comment